Department of Student Welfare
The Department of Students’ Welfare of North Maharashtra University is persistently engaged in developing the personality of the student in all spheres of life for which it undertakes various student oriented programmes It believes that given the opportunity, many of these students will bring out of their hidden talents. It is to unravel these hidden talents in the students that the Dept. of Students’ Welfare provides the opportunity and the boosting environment for students to explore themselves and excel in their respective career. This department initiates different schemes, which includes Earn while you learn Scheme, Special guidance scheme, Student Safety Insurance Scheme, participation at various cultural activities, debates, Moot Courts, Parliamentary affair Studies & Proceedings Workshop etc. at state and national level as well as University level, these schemes are targeted for the development and betterment of the students.
North Maharashtra University, through its many fold programmes has left no stone unturned to provide ample opportunities for the welfare of the students and indulge them in its activities apart from their day to day studies. The University authorities are always keen not only to provide standard academic programmes but also to inculcate self-reliance and boost the confidence amongst the students.
The Dept. of Students’ Welfare is always taking sincere efforts for the all-round development of students. It executes various activities in affiliated colleges, recognized institutes and P.G. departments. The Dept. of Students’ Welfare, North Maharashtra University, Jalgaon is geared towards this task for welfare of the students, it embark on a large number of activities for the benefit of the student community. The prominent schemes among them are as follows:
- Student Financial Scheme (Individual ) -
1. Hon’bal Vice Chancellor Research Motivation Scheme
2. Karmaveer Bhaurao Patil Earn & Learn Scheme
3. Students Adoptions scheme for University Edu. Schools & Dept.
4. Hon’bal Vice Chancellor Medical fund
5. Eklavya Vidyadhan Scheme ( Education Loan)
6. Poor Students Aid Fund
7. Student Safety Insurance Scheme
8. Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Help Scheme for University Hostel Students
1. University Level Inter college Youth Festival “Yuvarang”
2. Inter collegiate Magazine Competition
4. University trophy Ekanankika Competition play
5. Inter Colleges Mute Court Competition
6. Drama Presentation Competition
7. Research Presentation Competition
8. Story Telling competition
3. Poem Reading Competition
- Competition are arranged in the Donors fund –
1. Late G.V. Abhyankar Marathi Natyageet & Late Shantabai G. Abhyankar Marathi Bhaavgeet Competition
2. Late Bhaisaheb Y. S. Mahajan Elocutions Competition for female Students.
3. Late Bhaskar Sabanis Inter Collegiate Commerce’s Quiz & Presentation Competition
- University Level workshop / Seminars/ Training
1. Disaster Management training workshop
2. Student Personality Development workshop
3. Stress free Exam campaign & workshop
4. Cultural Development Workshop
5. University Representative Leadership Development workshop
6. District wise Friendship workshop
7. Natya Abhivachan workshop
8. Speech skill development workshop
9. Powada singing skill workshop
10. Youth Parliament (Yuva Sansand) workshop
11. Research Methodology workshop
12. Anchoring skill development workshop
13. Street Play skill development workshop
14. S.T. Students Motivational Workshop
15. Shram-Sanskar skill Development workshop
- Student Leadership Activity
1 College Level Student council
2. University Schools & Dept. Student council
3. University Student council
- For the college level activities –
1. Globalization rising workshop or Seminars
2. Employment skill Development guidance workshop
3. Personality Development Cell
4. Stress Management & Guidance cell
- Special programme for Girl students
1. Yuvati Sabha – workshop
2. Self Defense (Swayamsidha) Abhiyan
3. Personality Development cell
- University level Honors schemes-
1. Youth Researcher
2. School Boys scientist
3. College Principal & Student Welfare officers
- Seminars For the Principal/ Director/ HOD , Student Welfare officers & Teachers -
1. Half yearly Meeting
2. Planning meetings for students activities
1. Karmaveer Bhaurao Patil Earn and Learn Scheme:-
The main objective of the scheme is to develop a student as a multifaceted personality with academic excellence and commitment to an egalitarian society. India lives in her villages and to bridge the gap between rural India and urban India, this scheme is basically undertaken for the benefit of students coming from the rural areas, who are economically backward, intelligent, and meritorious but cannot afford higher education, needy and financially hard pressed. It inculcates in the student the idea that no work is big or small and develops a work culture with the right aptitude. This idea will make the education accessible and available to the poor, meritorious and the marginalized.
The scheme is at present being undertaken at the post-graduate level on the University campus as well as at the graduate level in the affiliated colleges and recognised institutions under the jurisdiction of the North Maharashtra University, Jalgaon. Financial assistance to the extent of hundred percent of the expenditure incurred by the affiliated colleges / institute is reimbursed to the concerned on submitting the necessary papers to the Director, Dept. of Students’ Welfare. Under this scheme those students who are interested in joining are to fill the necessary application form, which is then scrutinized by a designated committee. The list of students who have been finally enrolled in the scheme are to be sent to the Director, Dept. of Students’ Welfare on or before 30 July every year, subject to the condition that the College / Institution has been given permission to undertake the scheme.
The students enrolled under the scheme are given the following types of work viz office work, technical work and field work. However when the distribution of work is given it is seen that all students get equal opportunity to get all different kinds of work and that each student gets eighty percent of technical work and twenty percent of fieldwork. Office work includes working at the Library or any other office of the institute.
2. Personality Development workshop for University Representative:-
Training is an important aspect of good governance and this is done through these orientation workshops. Fighting elections and winning them is one part but what is more important is how to deliver after one gets elected. How to work together as well as implement promises made and help improve the University administration.
After all elections and nominations for the University representatives and University Students Council are over a two-day workshop for the representatives is arranged at the district level.
At the said workshop lectures by eminent persons in the field of education are arranged. All the University representatives are given complete understanding about their duties, rights and their contribution to society.
3. Youth Festival:-
There are two Youth Festival Programs for which the University directs its team which includes, activities at the state and national levels. Ultimately such platform gives students an opportunity to understand the different parts of Maharashtra as well as the country. It is an opportunity for the students of NMU, Jalgaon to test their accomplishments at state as well as national levels. This gives them exposure and is a celebration of cultural diversity and difference, a unity in diversity. The Dept. of Students’ Welfare takes special care and interest that the students of the University/colleges/ institutes participate in these festivals with great zest. Inter collegiate youth festival is organizes by North Maharashtra University every year.
4. Magazine Competition:-
To promote the art and habit of writing among the students, an annual magazine competition is organized by the Dept. of Students’ Welfare. This helps students to learn the art of writing, editing, publishing a magazine. All colleges/ institutes are requested to send copies of the magazine published by them to the Director, Dept. of Students’ Welfare, who in turn submits them to a panel of experts which is appointed by the Vice Chancellor to judge these magazines and award them positions. Prizes at the University level as well as District level are awarded to the selected magazine and the Principals are expected to be present to receive them at the Annual Prize Day organized by the Dept. of Students’ Welfare. The University also supports this by giving fund for the same.
5. Special Programmes & Workshops for Girl students (Yuvati Sabha):-
This scheme introduced by the University with an objective is to develop confidence and personality of a lady student who comes from the rural areas and deprived sections of society. The marginalization and deprivation is double if you are a woman and from the backward or scheduled castes. The main aim of this scheme is to develop a critical mind, self-confidence and a commitment to society. The lady students are given training in health, law, and social activities. They are also given training in self-employment and all possible other activities that enhance her social confidence. This scheme is open to all regular lady students from all the affiliated college / institutes. Funds for organizing these activities are provided by the University. The concerned college / institutes have to organize seminars, camps / workshops to fulfill the objectives of the scheme.
6. Students’ Council Elections:-
The University is also a training ground for students to develop skills of good governance. Hence these elections are organized to help them practice these skills and learn the skill of representation. Hence the students have an experience in the skills of democratic representation and participation.
As per the Maharashtra University Act (M.U.) 1994 section 40, Students’ Council is to be established every year during the first term. As per clause 40 (3) of the said M.U. Act 1994 each college / institute has to elect one University representative. The name of the said student is then to be communicated to the Director, Dept. of Students’ Welfare immediately on the date specified. Late nominations will not be entertained.
As per clause 40 (2) (b) of the said M.U. Act 1994 the college / institute has to from the Students Council and inform the names of the same to the Director, Dept. of Students’ Welfare.
As per clause 40 (2) (a) there will be a University Departments Students’ Council who in turn will elect its University representative
After completion of the above 15 members will be nominated to the University Students’ Council as per provisions of section 40 (4) (a) of the M.U. Act 1994 by the Vice-Chancellor. Further as per section 40 (4) (6) of the M.U. Act 1994 the President and Secretary of the North Maharashtra University Students Council will be elected as per provisions of the said section of the M.U. Act 1994.
7. Student Insurance Scheme:-
Health is an important part of an individual. The need to provide health care at affordable costs has been an objective of the Dept. of Students’ Welfare and the University. Most of the deprived and marginalized sections of society do not have access and availability to health care. Most of the students are anemic and this is prevalent among the girl students. To help these students, the University has introduced this scheme for all students of the University. Health facilities at health center with a panel of doctors as well regular staff is made available to the students.
An Insurance scheme for all the students from all the college, institutes and the University campus was introduced by the Dept. of Students’ Welfare during the academic year 30 September_____. Under this scheme an amount of Nominal Rupees per student is collected per year. The above scheme runs in collaboration with an insurance company. The University makes a contract with an insurance company and then as per the contract benefits are provided to the students. The contract period is decided between the University authorities and the Insurance Company. The contract is also renewable. All branches of the Insurance Company in the districts of Jalgaon, Dhule and Nandurbar are informed about the same. All contract details approved between the University and the Insurance Company are informed to all the colleges / institutes and all Heads of University departments. Principal of colleges / Director of institutes and Head of University departments are requested to bring the above to the notice of all their students.
In the affiliated colleges student Safety Insurance Scheme has started since 1993 by this department. Academic year 2014-15 Rs. 10/- are collected from the students at the time of admission this amount is paid to the Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Co. Ltd., Jalgaon as a premium of Group Insurance of the student In case a student died in accident, his parents / successor are given 70,000/- & Rs. 5,000/- from Vice Chancellor fund as compensation.
This University arranges the various activities and workshop at the college level for the student i.e.
1. Health Check-up Scheme:-
Annual health check-up for college students to provide medical aid to the student, providing medical education training and awareness are also the main purpose of this scheme. University has made compulsory Health Check-up Scheme in the affiliated colleges. The students seeking admission in the First year and the student living in hostel, P. G. students have to do health check-up. The mere amounts of fees Rs.11 are charged to the college students out of that Rs 5. for application form per student to university and Rs 6. to colleges, from which poor students are given financial assistance.
2. Youth Parliamentary affair & Proceedings Study Camp :-
Common Wealth Parliamentary Association Branch has introduced the scheme of parliamentary function and system. Such study camp on politics and public administration are arranged for students & Teacher every year by the university. Every year North Maharashtra University nominates 6 students and one Teacher for this study camp to Nagpur session.
3. Debate and Elocution Competition :-
For the development of oratory among the students, Elocution and Debating Competition are arranged at college and university level. In the same way, competitions are arranged by social institutions and other Universities. The selected students represent the university in various forthcoming competitions.
4. Abhyankar Bhavgeet Gayan & Natyageet Competition:-
The Department of Student Welfare organizes the Inter-Collegiate Competition under the banner of Abhyankar Bhavgeet Gayan & Natyageet for the student to develop their skills in singing. The expenditure in respect of this competition is made from the donation given by Prof. P.G. Abhyankar in the memories of his mother the Late. Mrs. Shantabai Abhyankar.
5. Disaster Management Camp :-
At the time of earthquake, bomb-blast, incidents of fire, people lost their lives and many thousands were made homeless. In such type of disastrous situation and agony, NSS units came forward to help the survivors. In order to make the students and the general public aware about such types of disasters, the NSS unit of NMU organizes workshop on “The Role of NSS in Disaster Management” the basic purpose of starting a series of workshops on disaster management was to create an effective awareness among the NSS volunteers so that they can play a significant role in disseminating awareness among students in particular and among the masses in general.
The partial list of Camps/Workshops/ Competitions organized by Department of Student Welfare, North Maharashtra University, Jalgaon
1. Adventure and Training Camp
2. Scheduled Tribes Students’ Self-confidence and motivation development Workshop
3. Late Bhaisaheb Y.S. Mahajan Elocution Competition
4. University Level Natya Abhivachan Competition
5. Youth Parliament Competition
6. University Level Story Telling (Kathakathan) Competition
7. University Level Kavyvachan (Poetry Recitation) Competition
8. Girl students’ Personality Development Cell
9. One Act Play Competition
10. Debating Competition
11. Essay Writing Competition
12. Abyankar Natyageet and Bhavgeet Singing Competition
13. Moot Court Competition
14. College Magazine Competition
15. Friendship camp
16. District level “Shramsanskar, Personality and Leadership Development Workshop”
17. Global Warming Awareness Workshop
18. Village Adoption Scheme
- Special Instituted Activities
The following are the activities of importance, which are held under the jurisdiction of the Dept. of Students’ Welfare:–
1. Avishkar :-
Intellectual development, freethinking is very vital for a free and a democratic country like ours. In a Knowledge society, the opportunity to this is provided at the University level. Academics are not just rote memory but the inculcation of availability and access to knowledge for all, and the inculcation of critical and analytical values. “Avishkar ’’ is a research festival encourages original and critical thinking among the students. It is to challenge the minds of the young to bring out the best in them. Avishkar is the third program launched by the Chancellor’s office the first being Ashwamedh in respect of Sports, the second being ‘Indradhanushya’ in respect of cultural activities while “ Avishkar ’’ aims at developing the research talent, research culture and interest in basic research amongst all the college attending students and the University students. Under this activity all students are invited to prepare a research project of their liking after which college wise and district wise and a University level competition is arranged.
Those projects found eligible for further presentation are processed and then a University team is selected. The best team is selected from the various disciplines are accompanied by a few teachers. The activity is a three-phase program where in during the first faze a poster / model display or a research project in the form of an exhibition is arranged and judged by a panel of experts. In the second phase oral those who are selected make presentations in the first phase while in the Third phase lectures by eminent judges on the projects selected for award of prizes are held. However it is to be noted that some basic theme has to be selected which covers all the disciplines under this activity.
2. Indradhanushya -
‘Indradhanushya‘ is a state level youth festival that has been initiated at the behest of the Chancellor of the University. During this festival students interested and those who are talented in cultural activities like music, dream, elocution, dance, fine arts etc. are selected. The University sends a circular to all affiliated colleges / institutes and then selection trials are held and a University team is selected keeping in mind the total number of participants who could be sent for the same. All funding in respect of the above is made from the University funds.
Student Welfare Advisory Committee
1. Prof. Sudhir U. Meshram, Vice- Chancellor – Chairman
University Management Council Members
2. Mr. Vishnu R. Bhangale, 29, Onkarnagar, Jalgaon - Vice- Chairman
3. Dr. Arvind N. Chaudhari, P.O.Nahata College, Bhusawal - Member
District Level Principals of Colleges -
4. Prin. Dr. A.G. Lohar, Adv.S.A.Baheti College, Jalgaon - Member
5. Prin. Dr.A.P.Khairnar, Aadarsh Arts College,Nijampur - Member
6. Prin.Dr.P.V.Ramiyya. A.S.C.College,Taloda - Member
University Senate Members
7. Mr. Dilip R. Patil, 35, Ganeshnagar, Dharangaon - Member
8. Mr. Atul V. Kadambande, 20, Trambak Nagar, Deopur-Dhule - Member
N.M.U. Campus Asst. Professor -
9. Dr.Ajay U. Surwade, School of Computer Science , NMU - Member
District Level Asst. Professor -
10. Prof. P.G.Ramteke, Y.N.Chavan College, Chalisgaon - Member
11. Dr.M.R.Vaishampayan, A.S.C. College, Nagaon - Member
12. Prof. smt. Manda A.Gavit A.S.C. College, Navapur - Member
University Student's Council President
13. Mr.Kolhe Mayuresh Narendra, College of Pharmacy, Sakegaon - Member
University Student's Council Secretary
14. Mr. Mali Yogaeshwar Rajendra , R.C.Patel A.S.C.College, Shirpur - Member
15. Prof. A. M. Mahajan – Registrar - Member
16. Finance & Accounts Officer - Member
17. Shri.Savle Satyajit Baliram – Director Students’ Welfare - Member
Members of the University Students Council –
(Academic Year 2013-2014 i.e. April 30th, 2014)
1. Kolhe Mayuresh Narendra, College of Pharmacy, Sakegaon-Bhusawal, (President)
2. Mali Yogeshwar Rajendra, R.C.Patel A.S.C. College, Shirpur, Dist. Dhule. (Secretary)
3. Roy Sushil Ashok, CES’S College, Chalisgaon, Dist. Jalgaon. (Member)
4. Pawara Lotan Velakya, A.S.C. College Dhadgaon Dist. Nandurbar (Member)
5. Mahajan Ketan Satish, J.T.Mahajan College of Engineering, Faizpur (Member)
6. Agrawal Aishwarya Sanjaykumar, M.D. Palesha Com.College, Dhule (Member)
7. Jamnare Sunakshi Kishorrao, Uni. Insti. of Chem.Tech. NMU Campus, Jalgaon. (Member)
8. Patil Rahul Gopal, College of Engineering & Tech., Bambhori - Jalgaon. (Member)
9. Gavit Elesh Divalya, A.S.C. College, Navapur Dist.Nandurbar. (Member)
10. Patil Asha Baliram, Arts College, Marwad, Tal. Amalner, Dist. Jalgaon (Member)
11. Sayyad Farheen Bano Masood Ali, H.S.A.Sardar Arts & Sci. College, Dhule. (Member)
12. Tayade Trupti Krishnakumar, KCES’S Mooljee Jaitha College, Jalgaon, (Member)
13. Bhadane Chandrakant Kantilal, A.S.C. College, Nagaon, Dist Dhule. (Member)
14. Chudhari Devendra Bhagwan, Rani Laxmibai College, Parola, (Member)
15. Patil Rasika Rajendrasing, A.S.C. College, Shendurni, Tal. Jamner (Member)
National Service Scheme
For details regarding N.S.S. please click here
Last Updated: June 2014