Indian Institute of Philosophy was established in July 1916 at Amalner by Shriamnt Pratapseth an industrialist with pious motives and determination. It has a long span of distinctive activities in the sphere of Indian Philosophy. In about 50 years, this institute became a famous centre for learning and research in philosophy. The institute published a number of books on Indian Philosophy and Comparative studies in East-West Philosophy. The Scholars and fellows associated with this institution during this long period were originators of practically all philosophical movements in contemporary Indian thought; amongst them are Prof. G.R. Malkani, Prof. Rasbiharidas, Prof. K. C. Bhattacharaya, Prof. Bharatan Kumarappa, Prof. D.D. Wadekar, Prof. T.R.V. Murti, Prof. Dayakrishna, Prof. D.Y. Deshpande. Shri Sane Guruji, a great social reformer, literary figure and thinker of Maharashtra was at this institute for some time. In the long period of the institute, philosophical journals viz. ‘Philosophical Quarterly’ and ‘Tattwadnyan Mandir’, were well established as standard periodicals of the country. These journals soon became well-known in world’s philosophical thought. In June 1993, this institution was taken over by North Maharashtra University, Jalgaon (Maharashtra).
The Department of Philosophy runs M.A. (Post Graduation) Course. Students with M.A. Philosophy can enroll for Doctoral Research at the Centre. Prof. Archana P. Degaonkar is heading the Department of Philosophy. The Hon’ble Vice Chancellor of NMU has sanctioned Rs. 75 lakhs for the renovation of our Centre.
North Maharashtra University is sincerely making an all-out effort to revive different intellectual activities, especially philosophical activities with addition there to by starting new department such as Lab to Land.